So that time has come around again, I have taken another full trip around the sun. Today I turn 21. That makes a little part of my stomach fall to the ground. 21. I used to always look up to people in their twenties and admire how put together they looked and how much they seemed to have their life all sorted out for them. But in truth, as this birthday has loomed, I have felt further than that ideal. I have absolutely no idea where I am going and I feel like this next year has a lot in store for me. That is both daunting and fairly exciting. In this next year, I will hopefully graduate and move on from my student days, turning my back on the last 17 years of full-time education and that notion that you knew what the future year would hold. This time a year from now I will be out in the real world, so I guess I need to enjoy this last little bit of security.
In today’s post, I wanted to share with you 21 things I have learnt in my 21 years on this planet. I get that in relative terms, 21 years is not a lot, but I definitely feel I have some things to share.
1. It is perfectly fine to not know what you are doing.
2. No one else actually knows what they are doing.
3. The most important thing is that you are happy; money and materialism will always come second to happiness. This is something that will always ring true.
4. It is possible to kill a cactus. Yes, I am embarrassed about it, but it happened and I need to open up about that.
5. Making time to read for pleasure is important and I need to do more of that. Maybe once I finish my degree and I am not required to read 300 pages a week for my course, I will actually begin to love reading for pleasure.
6. Gilmore Girls is a must see in everyone’s lifetime. No ifs, no buts, watch it!
7. Try to only plan out your next week, it will reduce stress. This way you can really focus on the immediate and anything in the future will work it self out when you get to it. There is no point stressing over things far far away.
8. It is great to live by the seaside. Although I will always be a Londoner at heart, there is nothing more relaxing than a bike ride along the sea.
9. Quality over quantity works in pretty much every situation.
10. New York is the most magical city and I cannot wait to go back.
11. Sometimes people change, that is okay, just don’t hang on if it isn’t worth it.
12. Sometimes you will change, you don’t always have to feel guilty about that either.
13. There is everything right with a chilled night in. Grab some snacks and put on a movie in your pyjamas.
14. It is never too early to start celebrating Christmas. Well maybe maybe June is a little early, but you get what I mean.
15. Never do unnecessary seminar prep. Just do enough to be prepared, but don’t stress about the non-essential stuff.
16. If you want something, you have to go and get it. No one else will open that door for you.
17. People use people for personal gain. It is an awful thing but we just have to accept that it happens and find the people who don’t.
18. A tidy desk equals a tidy mind.
19. My mum is always right!!! Though she has probably been hoping I would have learnt that before my 21st!!
20. There is nothing wrong with eating home-baked goods before noon.
21. Go with the flow, everything works out exactly how it should in the end.
So that is just a short list of some of the most important things I have learnt over the years… some may be slightly more important than others, but each are on this list in their own right. I guess often everyone has to learn some of these things the hard way and we can’t always prevent that.
It would be wonderful if you would leave a comment telling me one thing you have learnt in your years on this earth. Maybe we can all swap a little bit of wisdom